Sunday, July 29, 2012

My Fantastic version of bruschetta!

So I really love bruschetta. Suddenly. I haven't always liked it, but in these past couple years I've really grown fond of it! I've made it a few times, but last night I really hit the jackpot. The bread was toasty but not hard...and, and...well, it just tasted really great, okay? okay. Let me show you what I did.
First, I put some olive oil in a pan and added crushed black pepper on medium heat. Once the oil became hot, I placed my sliced baghette in the oil. I let it sit until it becomes golden brown then I flip to the other side.

I decided to toast the bread this way instead of in a toaster oven--which is how I had made it in the past--because I didn't really like how crunchy it was. Making it this way, it still has that crisp when you bite into it, but it doesn't crack and crumble like it would if it were hard.

Once I flip the bread, I added goat cheese to the pan.(My goat cheese was in a tube so I just cut it into flat-ish slices). That's right. I said GOAT. It's a new obsession of mine.  Now, quick! To the tomatoes! You only have seconds!
Slice your tomatoes as thick as you want. I prefer them a little thinner than you would slice them for a hamburger...but not so thin that they are all flimsy and wimpy. (Also, don't use super huge tomatoes...you don't want the slice to be enormous in diameter compared to the bread.) Then I added a dash of salt and pepper, and basil. I didn't have any fresh basil on hand, otherwise I would have used a leaf. Last, Asiago cheese. mmm.

*In hindsight, I would have prepared the tomatoes first. That way I wouldn't be rushing to get them done before the cheese and bread burnt. But I made it! phew.*

It isn't beautiful, but it sure is tasty! Fresh basil would have made it more attractive ;]


So, once everything is ready, I took the bread off the pan and set them hottest side up. Then I quickly placed the tomatoes on top with asiago side down. The goat cheese gets ooey-gooey, so a spatula or something wide may be needed to get it out of the pan. Now stick that cheese on the tomato! yeahhh, good.

Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette! I used basil flavored olive oil. Bomb dot com.

Eat it hot! =D


No comments:

Post a Comment